Sunday, May 23, 2010

Today's Recap.

Argh.

Tia and I had a decent chase, but it should have been epic. Started the day perfectly, ended the opposite. I positioned exactly where I wanted to early on, and was able to do a time lapse for nearly 20 minutes as the supercell matured and moved towards me. As I hoped, tornadogenesis occurred directly down the road from where I sat so I was able to catch the entire sequence without moving the camera. Was very near that first stove pipe, really unintentionally as I said, I never really had to move.

That's about as good as it got. Was slammed with RFD for a while there on 47. When I went to head north, the road was blocked. I thought I was doing the smart thing and turned around and flew south to the next paved highway, whatever that was. About 20 minutes later I was back ahead of the storm and in perfect position! Except that I was too late. Missed the whole 1000 tornadoes on the ground at the same time event.

Then, to make matters worse, after dodging about 35 previous, I finally nailed a pheasant with the front end of my car. He completely smashed in my grill, which is now gone. Had to pry him out in Roscoe with the sirens sounding where I apparently missed another brief visible touchdown.

I was more or less done at that point. I kept ahead of the storm shooting structure for a while but once I hit Aberdeen I just hit the road for Sioux Falls where I'll be spending the night.









No comments: