Monday, September 21, 2009

I take it back...

Whatever I said last week about this weather being boring, I take it back. I can't get enough of this beautiful weather and perfect temperatures. Three weeks straight of high temperatures around 75, with crystal clear nights with temperatures hovering in the 50s. I was driving back to DeKalb from Champaign last night around midnight with the all the windows down, in a foggy 60 degree night and wondered how much better that could get. Yeah, I could be driving home after bagging a tornado with a lightning illuminated drive home with a Day 2 moderate risk on tap for the following day... but let's be real. In mere weeks and months, I'll be fighting sideways falling snow and face burning cold temperatures so for now, I don't want to change a thing.

The severe weather prospects for this fall still look like a snooze-fest. At least the coming weeks. That big cut off low will just continue to churn away for a few days before finally pushing out at the end of the week. One could hope for a thunder chance once it pushes through around Friday and Saturday, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'd love to get in another chase or two or three before the snow starts falling, but for now I'll eat this beautiful weather up.

I'm still watching my Cubs. The playoffs are all but mathematically impossible now, so that's not my motivation. Along with the weather, I'll watch these last few games just because I know how much I'm going to miss this once it's gone. I love college football and basketball, but there is just nothing like a 162 game season of Chicago Cubs baseball. The only thing that comes close to that for me is the March Madness period of the NCAA Basketball season. That's just a kick off party for baseball and storm chasing season, anyway!

Also, what's with the gnat issue in central Illinois. Things are just starting to settle in here in DeKalb, but they've got an all out plague down closer to Interstate 74. Champaign, IL is in a constant swarm of the little pests. I'm heading back down that way on Wednesday, so I'll try and get a little photo or video evidence of the issue. When you get the right angle with the sun, it looks like it's snowing fairly heavily. Forget about riding your bike or anything outside or they'll be plastered to every forward facing portion of your body.

Cubs lead 7-0 on back to back home runs, and on that note I'm off.

No comments: