Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Incoming Severe

Sitting in the DeKalb wind farm at the moment awaiting a line of strong to severe thunderstorms that are still an hour or two out. Current estimates put the "meat" of the line about 45 miles away. Pretty disorganized line right now, but it looks like some organization into a bow echo with a more appreciable wind damage threat could be taking place around the Quad Cities. Luckily, the *sorry, had to take a break to photograph a pretty tower behind the towering wind turbine outside my car* ... anyway. Luckily, the current trajectories draw the strong portion of that line into the DeKalb area so I likely won't have to venture far, if at all. I went out early to time lapse the little cells that have shot up ahead of the line but haven't seen much decent yet. I'm hoping that changes when the severe line actually arrives. Not sure what to expect in terms of severity, but I'd like a nice stormy sky contrasted with the brown dried up corn fields. Since it's been so dry lately, hoping for some down burst potential to kick up some dust ahead of the line. Seems like a certain possibility given slightly drier low levels, and the tendency for these storms to "gust out" lately. We'll see how things play out, but at any rate I expect to be photographing *something* in about 1.5-2 hours. For now, I'll continue to enjoy my wind farm.

No comments: