Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hole punch clouds / Russell Woods

Just a brief post as I don't have a lot of time, but had a couple things I wanted to share.

First, and most recent was this evening when we had a couple "hole punch clouds" over the skies in northern Illinois and surrounding regions. I was indirectly alerted by a Facebook post by Scott Weberpal over southern Wisconsin that he had seen a couple this evening. I decided I'd keep my eyes on the sky as we're not overly far apart. In walking home from the grocery store with Tia just after sunset I actually spotted a couple moving overhead. After dropping the groceries off in the house, I hopped back out to the driveway and snapped a shot of them. They aren't the most textbook example, but still a pretty cool thing to see!

Here's a decent explanation of their formation: http://weatherthings.com/HolePunch.html


Last evening I decided to get out and enjoy a pleasant evening with a rive to Russell Woods, outside of nearby Genoa, IL. It's only an easy 15 minute drive away so I figured it was worth checking out. I didn't have a lot of time before sunset, but it seems like a neat little place. I left the beaten path and explored the deep woods in search of some remaining sunlight to try and capture some fall colors. I didn't find a lot, but did find some hunter's metal elevated platform and decided to give it a climb, which gave me a decent view of the setting sun over the golden cornfields.

Kind of blurry because silly me, did not bother to use a tripod for shit shot.


View from high atop my newly acquired tree top observatory.



Snapped a quick shot of my observatory before I left.



No comments: