Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The ground, moved!

As if the snow was not enough, an earthquake was added to the mix early this morning for northern Illinois. A 3.8 quake shook the ground, almost directly where I sit here in DeKalb. Being sick, I was in a Nyquil induced nighttime, sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, fever, best sleep you ever got during an earthquake medicine, sleep. I did wake up to the tremblor, however I did pass it off as a violent snow plow. I remember thinking "okay, these snow plows are just getting ridiculous" and dozing back off. I did vaguely recollect back to the 2008 quake we felt in central IL, but passed it off. Certainly Illinois would not be home to 2 quakes in 3 years. Then I woke up to text messages on my phone confirming that distant thought.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2010snay.php

No comments: