Monday, February 8, 2010

Obligatory Winter Storm Post

Well, with such a big winter storm taking aim on the midwest this week, I felt it right of me to at least mention such a thing. Not sure how much I agree with the heavier amounts down south, but we'll see how that plays out. If I had to guess, I'd say that central Illinois gets their heaviest snows early in the morning before being dry-slotted somewhere around mid-day. I'm calling for about 4-6 inches around the Champaign area. Further north will obviously see higher totals as we get into the trowel region tomorrow morning and thru the day. Northern Illinois will likely see it's heaviest action tomorrow morning from around 6 AM to 2 PM. Things may taper off a bit around then before picking back up for a few hours during the evening. Here in DeKalb we will be a bit far west to pick up much from the lake enhancement of Lake Michigan, however some enhancement of the back side of the trowel region may be realized here. I'm calling for a solid 8.5-9 inches here in DeKalb, with higher amounts to the east. The Milwaukee area may be among the hardest hit areas.

Water vapor shows the northern low pressure center moving into Iowa presently, while another trough develops to the south. I hate winter weather forecasting, but overall I think central Illinois may be a bit overhyped on this one, but that remains to be seen. Northern Illinois and southeastern Wisconsin are under the gun for much higher totals, potentially cresting a foot near the Lake, but with predominantly 7-11 inch readings everywhere else. Peoria to Champaign, I'll give 4-6 inches.


For now I'm battling a cold that I picked up yesterday. As luck would have it, I had two exams this morning to battle through with a stuffy nose and foggy head. Loads of Vitamins A and C, with plenty of rest once I got home this afternoon and hopefully I'll be bouncing back tomorrow. I guess it doesn't matter as Tuesday's are pretty free for me, and I'll be spending much of the day staring out the window watching my snow totals be wrong.

No comments: